This November, the Codex Committee on Nutrition and Foods for Special Dietary Uses (CCNFSDU) will continue its review of the Follow-Up Formula Standard. The key consideration at this year’s meeting is whether to define both categories of follow-up formula as breastmilk substitutes. In doing so, follow-up formula would fall under the same marketing guidelines as infant formula and ensure that companies are required to comply with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes. These products must be considered as breastmilk substitutes to protect breastfeeding, improve child nutrition, and reduce preventable child deaths.
The following policy briefs on the ARCH Nutrition website are designed to help inform attendees in advance of the CCNFSDU meeting from November 26-30, 2018. These briefs align with the messages and topics covered in the webinar series we are hosting with the Scaling Up Nutrition Civil Society meeting throughout October and November.
- POLICY BRIEF: CCNFSDU 2018: Review of the Codex Standard for Follow-Up Formula
- POLICY BRIEF: Benefits of Breastfeeding in the Second Year of Life and Beyond
- POLICY BRIEF: Human Rights Approach to the Codex Standard for Follow-Up Formula
- POLICY BRIEF [SPANISH]: CCNFSDU 2018: Examen de la Norma del Codex para la Fórmula de Seguimiento
- POLICY BRIEF [SPANISH]: Beneficios de la Lactancia Materna en el Segundo Año de Vida y Más Allá
- POLICY BRIEF [FRENCH]: CCNFSDU 2018: Revision de la Norme sur les Préparations de Suite
- POLICY BRIEF [FRENCH]: Avantages de l’allaitement au cours de la deuxième année de la vie et au-delà
Video resources from Helen Keller International’s ARCH Project & The Scaling Up Nutrition Civil Society Network Webinar Series:
- [Recording] Webinar 1: Why breastfeeding still matters after 1 year of life. Presented by Laurence M. Grummer-Strawn, PhD (World Health Organization). This is the first of three webinars presented in a series hosted by Helen Keller International’s ARCH Project & The Scaling Up Nutrition Civil Society Network.
- Sign up for Webinar 2 – Putting public health before profit: What Codex needs to do. Presented by Jane Badham, Consultant to Helen Keller International (31st October: 14h00 Central African Time & 1st November: 15h00 Indochina time)
- Sign up for Webinar 3: How does Codex work: Codex meeting basics. Presented by Jane Badham, Consultant to Helen Keller International (14th November: 14h00 Central African Time & 15th November: 15h00 Indochina time) here